Instagram, a popular social network based on the photo and video sharing, is an effective medium for marketing. If you haven’t worked on this platform before, it may seem difficult for you to reach the target audience. But with some simple ways, you can start Instagram marketing. In this article, you will know what is Instagram marketing and how to do it.
What is Instagram Marketing?
Instagram marketing is the promotion of a product, service, brand, and organization by using various features of Instagram.
There are two main ways you can market your Instagram –
- Organic: Uses organic content. For example, posting ‘Story’.
- Paid: With advertising and with the help of influencers.
Whichever way you try to run Instagram marketing, it requires proper planning and efficient use of the platform’s features. Also, it needs to be aligned with your overall marketing efforts.
Why is Instagram marketing important?
- 1.074 billion active users use Instagram every month. In other words, brands have the opportunity to reach people in different parts of the world.
- 83% of Instagram users know about new products or services from the platform. That is, it can play a big role in increasing brand recognition.
- Instagram is a part of Facebook. So you can run a campaign on Instagram while marketing on Facebook.
How to do Instagram Marketing?
- Use a ‘Business’ account
- Sort your business account profile properly
- Maintain content diversity
- Write beautiful captions
- Use hashtags thoughtfully
- Try to make most of the ‘Instagram Story’ feature
- Go live regularly
- Set the right time for the post
- Focus on analytics
Use a ‘Business’ account
This profile has some benefits for you that you will not find in your personal profile. Such as:
- View performance data for your posts and stories
- Detailed information of your followers
- Facilitate direct communication with followers through messages, post comments, and interactive stickers
- Easy way to advertise
Follow the steps below to create a business account on Instagram.
Step 1: Sign-up (if you do not have an account)
- Download the Instagram app.
- To create an account by opening the app, enter the email or phone number and tap on the ‘Next’ option.
- Create a username and password.
- Enter the required information for the profile and tap on ‘Next.
Step 2: Convert to ‘Business’ account
- Go to your profile first. Then tap on the hamburger icon at the top right.
- Tap on ‘Settings’. Then the account.
- Tap on ‘Switch to professional account’.
- Follow the next instructions by tapping ‘Business’.
Sort your business account profile properly
You have to write your bio in only 150 characters on Instagram. In other words, you get only 150 characters to introduce your brand to your customers at the first sight. Beyond that, you need to confirm a few more things.
Your name: You can use up to 30 characters to write the name. This allows you to search.
- Your username: Many people call it Instagram Handle. Here too the character limit is 30.
- Your Website: The link to your website should be given here. The reason this is so important is that Instagram does not allow the use of links everywhere. So this is a good opportunity to take the target audience to your desired link.
- Category: Select your business type from the list.
- Contact information: There is a facility to provide information on how to contact you.
- ‘Action’ button: You can use this option to book or order the target audience.
- Facebook Page: Add your brand’s Facebook page from your Instagram profile. This will allow you to run marketing on two platforms simultaneously.
Maintain content diversity
You have to remember, Instagram is a visual medium. So on the one hand you have to show the necessary and relevant content to the customer, on the other hand, you want to have variety in the content.
Consider using content in other formats than just posting pictures. Such as:
- Posts about likes and dislikes of followers,
- Quotes or text-based pictures about your brand,
- User-generated content,
- Short tutorials that can teach the target audience something new.
Write beautiful captions
There is no chance to play with captions on Instagram. Your brand voice depends on how you write the captions, what kind of words you choose, how much you can attract the attention of the target audience.
You can use up to 2200 characters for captions on Instagram. However, only two lines appear in the caption before tapping ‘More’. With this in mind, write captions between 138-150 characters for organic posts and 125 characters for ads. However, if you are experienced in copywriting, you can use longer captions.
Use hashtags thoughtfully
Hashtags are very useful to increase the reach of content on Instagram. You can use up to 30 hashtags per post if you want. However, keep a maximum of 5 – 9 hashtags per post. Make sure the hashtag is relevant to your brand.
Make the most of the ‘Instagram Story’ feature
This type of content can be viewed up to 24 hours. The more pictures or videos that go with real life in the story, the greater the engagement.
Give a message consistent with the brand to make good use of the story feature. Try to get that message to the target audience within the first 3 seconds. It is better if you encourage the viewer to do something specific. For example, visiting your site.
Go live regularly
Instagram live broadcasting is a very effective way to communicate directly with the target audience. You can of course use this feature in many ways. Such as:
- Come live with an industry expert or influencer through the ‘Add a Guest’ option.
- Show workshops or tutorials on relevant topics.
- Interview someone.
- Talk live with customer or client for product or service review.
Set the right time for the post
When your target audience is more on Instagram, you will get better engagement if you post at that time. But the whole thing depends on the location and type of your business. For example, since the weekly holiday in Bangladesh is Friday-Saturday, the engagement may be more from Thursday night to Saturday night.
Post at different times of the day at the beginning of Instagram marketing. Then you can understand from analytics when you get the best response from your target audience.
Use Instagram Shop if possible
Using the Shop tab on Instagram, you can present your product or service directly to the target audience. You can also take them to the website. This will help to increase sales.
Pay attention to analytics
No matter how well you do Instagram marketing, there are always opportunities and possibilities to do better. Instagram Insights will assist you in this work.
The information you get through analytics includes –
- What kind of format is being accepted by followers,
- Reach and engagement of the post at any time is good,
- Users of any age, place, language, and gender follow your brand,
- What topics or industries your followers are interested in.
You can make new plans for the future by analyzing the data obtained from Instagram Analytics.
Become good at Instagram marketing
To get success from Instagram marketing, adjust your business account profile properly. Also, post new content in different formats with relevant hashtags and captions. In addition, increase the engagement of the brand’s followers by using features like ‘Story’ and live broadcasting at the right time. There is a shop feature for sales! With the help of performance analytics, you can track all your work and make changes to the marketing plan.